There are several challenges faced by Nursing Homes that we have little or no control of. These include ongoing funding issues, staffing levels and most recently Covid 19. However, there are some issues that can be controlled, solutions found and action taken to make positive change.
1.Recruitment and Retention:
One enormous problem in healthcare generally is the ongoing difficulty in attracting and recruiting staff. Organisations within the health care sector are competing with each other for the same staff. The global shortage in some roles is felt in both the public and private sector worldwide. Although pay and conditions is a factor, it is not the only one. How you interact with employee sets you apart from your competitors and assist in attracting and retaining staff at every level. Creating a culture that is attractive to work in is important.
Does your company culture need to change to reflect the values? If so consider:
- Implementing procedures for meaningful employee engagement.
- Reinforcing the organisational values through performance management.
- Creating an inclusive environment where employees and residents are treated with respect and dignity.
- People Management
Every organisation needs their managers to have the right skills to effectively manage the workforce, and the healthcare sector is not different. Line managers play a crucial role in the success of the organisation by how they interact with employees on a daily basis. However, not every manager possesses these skills and as a result issues can arise.
Do your line managers have the skill to effectively manage their staff? Do they:
- Manage both good performance and underperformance and challenge respectfully.
- Have good communication skills and manage difficult conversations and conflict.
- Follow appropriate procedures, thereby avoid exposing the organisation to claims.
Creating the vision, influencing others, and doing the right thing even when it is difficult is key for success. Being an effective leader means empowering others to play their part in the supporting the organisation to achieve success and valuing their input. Success is not confined to managing resources appropriately, it is dependent on others support. about managing relationships and conflict and providing support. In this context, developing high levels of emotional intelligence is key for managing relationships, expectations, stress, and conflict effectively.
Are those in Leadership roles influence positive change? Do they:
- Communicate clear vision, mission, and values to all involved
- Identify what needs to be done and get buy in from staff to implement change.
If you would like to discuss any issues you may be experiencing, Irwin HR is here to help. Contact [email protected] or phone (01) 513 4740.